Prep Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 20 minutes
Yield: 12 rolls
- 1 package yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup lukewarm water (around 100-110°F)
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp salt
1. In a large bowl, combine the yeast and the sugar. Add the water, and allow the mixture to sit for about 5 minutes, or until bubbly.
2. Add 1 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour, the white flour, the oil, and the salt, and stir until the dough develops into a ball.
3. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for 7-8 minutes, adding the remaining whole wheat flour as you need it to keep from sticking to your hands.
4. Place the dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, cover with a towel, and allow to rise for 45 minutes, or until the dough has doubled in size.
5. Punch the dough down, and allow it to rest for 20 minutes.
6. Spray a jelly roll pan with cooking spray. Break off small chunks of the dough (about the size of a golf ball), and roll between your hands to form a ball. Place the rolls on the jelly roll pan, spaced 1 inch apart. Cover with a towl, and allow the rolls to rise for 30 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the rolls for 20 minutes, or until they sound hollow when tapped.
8. Allow the rolls to cool on a wire rack until completely cooled(although, they are the best at this point-fresh out of the oven!).
Makes 12 rolls
Per Serving Calories 68