Prep Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 Tbsp sugar, divided
- 1 package active, dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
1. Combine the warm water, 1 tablespoon of sugar, and yeast in a large bowl. Allow to sit for 5 minutes until bubbles have formed. Add the vegetable oil, salt, all-purpose flour, and 1 cup of the whole-wheat flour. Stir the ingredients together until a ball forms.
2. Sprinkle a small amount of all-purpose flour onto a flat, dry surface. Turn the dough out onto the surface, and begin kneading with your hands. Add enough additional whole-wheat flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to keep the dough from sticking to your hands. Continue kneading for about 8 minutes, or until the dough is elastic.
3. Put the dough into a large bowl coated with cooking spray, and cover with a clean towl. Allow the dough to rise for 40 minutes, or until it has doubled in size.
4. Punch the dough down, and allow it to rest for 20 minutes.
5. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and roll it out using a rolling pin to a 1/2-inch thickness.
6. Combine the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar and the cinnamon. Sprinkle the mixture evenly onto the dough. Do the same with the raisins. Beginning at one end, roll the dough into a tube, foldling the ends together to enclose.
7. Spray a bread pan with cooking spray, and place the dough into the pan. Allow to raise 30 minutes.
8. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the bread for 30 minutes, or until it sounds hollow when you tap it with your fingers. Allow it to cool completely on a wire rack.
Yield: one loaf, 10 servings
Per Serving Calories 134