- 1 pound ground sirloin
- 1/2 medium sized onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 4 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- pinch ground black pepper
1. In a large skillet, brown the hamburger along with the chopped onion and chopped green bell pepper. When the meat is no longer pink, drain any grease, and discard the grease. To the pan, add the tomato sauce, ketchup, brown sugar, Worcestershire Sauce, cider vinegar, dry mustard, salt, and ground black pepper. Bring the mixture to a light simmer, and then turn down the heat and allow to cook over low for 10 minutes.
2. Place the meat mixture in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until completely cool. Once the mixture is cooled, place it in a large freezer bag. Remove as much excess air as possible from the bag, seal the bag, and freeze.
3. On the day you wish to serve the sloppy joes, thaw the meat as mush as possible in the fridge. Then, heat the mixture in a large skillet over medium heat until completely heated through. Serve on whole wheat hamburger buns.
Per Serving (sloppy joe mixture only) Calories 111, Fat 6gm, Pro 8gm, Carbs 11gm