- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 8 oz. andoille sausage (fully cooked)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 15 oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 2 15 oz. cans white beans, drained and rinsed
1. First, choose a heavy, larger soup pot. The entire soup will be made in one pot, so be sure that the pot you start with will be able to hold the soup when it is finished. Heat the extra virgin olive oil in the pot over medium-high heat, and then add the chopped onions and green bell peppers. Cook the vegetables for about three minutes. While the vegetables are cooking, cut the andoille on a cutting board into coins that are about 1/4 of an inch wide. Add the andoille to the vegetables, and continue cooking for about four minutes longer until the vegetables are tender and the andoille is lightly browned. Add the oregano and the salt, and cook an additional 30 seconds stirring constantly.
2. Once the vegetables and andoille are finished cooking, slowly add the chicken stock to the pot, being careful as the pan will be hot. Don't allow the chicken stock to splatter. Then, add the tomatoes to the pan. Then cover the pot and reduce the heat. Simmer the soup over medium heat for ten minutes. Then, add the drained and rinsed beans to the soup, and continue cooking the soup for an additional ten minutes. Remove the soup from the heat, and ladle evenly into four bowls. Serve with crusty bread is desired.
Per Serving Calories 315, Fat 23gm, Carbs 14gm, Pro 14gm, Fiber 6gm