- 12 oz. uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1 clove garlic, minced fine
- 2 1/2 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups non-fat milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 oz. reduced fat cream cheese
- 2 Tbsp wheat germ
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. In a large pot, bring about four quarts of water to a boil. Add the pasta, and cook for about 7 minutes, or until al dente. Drain the pasta in a collander, and set aside.
3. Meanwhile, prepare the cauliflower. Use a small knife to cut out the core of the cauliflower. Place the head of cauliflower in a medium-sized pot with about two cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring the water to a boil, cover, and turn the heat down to simmer the liquid for about eight minutes, allowing the cauliflower to steam. Be sure that the water does not run out during the steaming. If the water level becomes too low, add an extra cup of water. Once the cauliflower is fork-tender, remove it from the pot, and chop it into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
4. In a large high-sided pan, melt the butter. Add the onion and the garlic, and allow to cook for four to five minutes, until the onion is tender. Add the flour, and whisk with a wire whisk, cooking for one minute. Then slowly add the milk, continuing to stir with the whisk. Cook for about two minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat, and add the salt, pepper, one cup of the shredded cheese, and the cream cheese (in chunks). Stir the sauce until it is smooth and all of the cheese is melted.
5. In a large mixing bowl, toss together the cooked elbow macaroni and cauliflower. Then pour the sauce over the pasta, and use a large spoon to stir the mixture until all of the pasta and cauliflower is evenly coated.
6. Coat a 9x13 inch baking pan with non-stick cooking spray. Pour the pasta mixture into the pan, and spread it evenly into the pan. Sprinkle the pasta evenly with the wheat germ, and then sprinkle evenly with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese. Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly. Allow the macaroni to sit for ten minutes before serving.
Per Serving Calories 357, Fat 14 grams, Carbs 42 grams, Pro 16 grams